Obamacare’s first 2014 enrollment started from 1st October, 2013 and remained open till 31st March, 2014. Obamacare enrollment is the only time in a year when you can apply for a new health insurance plan or switch to any other insurance plan. You can also change your existing plan or apply for the cost assistant. If you would like to consolidate your spouse in your existing health plan, this open enrollment is the best time to do this. Obamacare open enrollment usually starts from November of every year and remains open till January.
During this period, different insurance companies offer their most attractive plans as well.
Open enrollment period and other key factors:
- In 2014 – The enrollment period was open from 01st October, 2013 to 31st March, 2014.
- In 2015 – The enrollment period was open from 15th November, 2014 to 15th February, 2015.
- In 2016 – The enrollment period was open from 1st November, 2015 to 31st January, 2016.
- In 2017 – The enrollment period has begun from 1st November, 2016 to 31st January, 2017.
- So far, all the dates have been extended. Thus, the dates for 2017 are expected to be extended as well.
- If you have missed these dates, you still have the options to apply.
- gov is the government’s official website to get other details and apply for the insurances
In the following life events, you can be eligible for special enrollment in Obamacare:
- If you have got married
- If you are going to give birth to a child or adopting any child
- If you are moving permanently to a different area
- For those people who have already enrolled in Obamacare but their income or household status has changed lately which affected their eligibility of tax credits can usually qualify for the special enrollment.