If any member of the Rolling Stones ever had kidney stones, they would have been very grateful for health plans.  Usually kidney stones are passed without a whole lot of drama.  But, when they become difficult for the body to get rid of; medical intervention is necessary.  With individual health plans if you go to a hospital for treatment you will have the financial responsibility to pay the deductible and co insurance.  Have a high deductible health plan with a deductible of $5000?  That is what you would have to pay before your carrier pays anything.  Once the bill is over $5000 the co insurance will kick in.  Some plans are 80/20.  With that plan the carrier would pay 80% of the remaining bill and you would pay 20% up to your stop loss.  High deductible plans will make your health insurance premiums lower but it’s important to remember that you will have to pay the deductible for any hospitalization, surgery or outpatient services.  When deciding what kind of plans to get always consider the total out of pocket costs.  Some carriers like BlueCross/BlueShield of Florida offer a plan with a low deductible, low co insurance and a low premium.  Give us a call at Insurance Medics for a quote!

According to Mayo Clinic there are several treatments for kidney stones that are done in a hospital setting.  Beginning in the 1980’s Mayo Clinic surgeons performed some of the first minimally invasive kidney stone removals in the United States.  Large stones, stones that become lodged in the urinary tract, those that cause complications such as pain or bleeding, or those associated with infection may need to be surgically removed.

The web site National Kidney & Urologic Diseases talks about when kidney stones may need to be surgically removed:

  • Does not pass after a reasonable period of time and causes constant pain
  • Is too large to pass on its own or is caught in a difficult place
  • Blocks off the flow of urine
  • Causes an ongoing urinary tract infection
  • Damages kidney tissue or causes constant bleeding
  • Has grown larger, as seen on follow-up x rays

“Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) is the most frequently used procedure for the treatment of kidney stones.  In ESWL, shock waves that are created outside the body travel through the skin and body tissues until they hit the denser stones.  The stones break down into small particles and are easily passed through the urinary tract in urine.”