Open enrollment period comes once a year when you can apply for a major medical plan or switch to any other plan. Open enrollment is already open for 2017. You must enroll in any of the plans before 31st January, 2017. But it can be extended and will soon be announced by the government.
Every year, there is a period when the enrollment period is open for private companies as well as for individuals where they can apply for health insurance or any other insurance. They can also switch to another plan within this period.
Open enrollment period and other key factors:
- In 2014 – Open enrollment period was open from 01st October, 2013 till 31st March in 2014.
- In 2015 – Open enrollment period was open from 15th November, 2014 till 15th February in 2015.
- In 2016 – Open enrollment period was open from 1st November, 2015 till 31st January in 2016.
- In 2017 – Open enrollment period has begun from 1st November, 2016 and will remain open till 31st January, 2017.
- So far, all the dates have been extended and thus the dates for 2017 will probably be extended as well.
- If you missed these dates previously, you still have the options to apply.
- gov is the government’s official website to get other details and apply for insurances .
In the following life events, you can be generally eligible for the special enrollment in ObamaCare.
- If you have got married
- If you are going to give birth to a child or adopting any
- If you are moving permanently to another area
- Those who are already enrolled under ObamaCare but their income or household status has changed, thus affecting their eligibility of tax credits.