Someone in your family or maybe you or one of your friends have high cholesterol?  Perhaps you listened to a friend tell you about looking at different Health Plans for his family.  He probably told you that they all wanted to know if anyone took any medications on a daily basis.  If the answer was “yes” to cholesterol your friend can probably count on his Health Insurance Premiums increasing about 25%.  Just because you see health plans with the price of the Health Premiums for the plans does not mean that the price you see is the price you will pay.  Insurance carriers may increase the prices based on any medical conditions you may have.

We have all heard over and over that high cholesterol readings are not a sign of good health.  Most of us know that high cholesterol can lead to heart disease, the big boogie man heart attack, and stroke. About 75% of your cholesterol is made by your liver and other cells in your body.  The other 25% comes from the foods you eat.  So what exactly does your cholesterol do for you?

Here is what the American Heart Association has to say about what cholesterol does for you:

“High cholesterol is one of the major controllable risk factors for coronary heart disease, heart attack and stroke

.  As your blood cholesterol rises, so does your risk of coronary heart disease.  If you have other risk factors (such as high blood pressure or diabetes) as well as high cholesterol, this risk increases even more.  The more risk factors you have, the greater your chance of developing coronary heart disease.  Also, the greater the level of each risk factor, the more that factor affects your overall risk.”

Your cholesterol also does some good things for you.  Your cholesterol allows all of your cells to make cholesterol for you.  You could stop eating cholesterol for the rest of your life and still have high levels.  This is a good thing because every cell in your body needs it to form protective membranes.  Discovery Fit & Health reports, “Your body actually monitors your cells, and if it senses that a cell doesn’t have enough cholesterol, it will produce more.  Cholesterol also is an essential building block for naturally produced vitamin D and other good stuff, like estrogen and testosterone.”  When your cells don’t make enough cholesterol, your liver will jump in to help.

There are some natural remedies for high cholesterol.  Be sure to talk to your doctor before trying any of them.  Here is a partial list:

  • •Vitamin B3 (Niacin)
  • •Artichoke leaf
  • •Soluble fiber
  • •Plant sterols and stanols